SUNY Oneonta Alumni Association Strategic Plan
SUNY Oneonta Alumni Association (Alumni Association) includes over 50,000 members worldwide.
Since 1890, the Alumni Association has worked diligently to create an alumni support and service system that is
characterized by excellence in its proactive, timely, inclusive, and personal nature. All individuals who
attended or graduated from Oneonta are members of this organization.
The strength of the Alumni Association lies in the dedication and hard work of our leadership volunteers and
our staff. The Alumni Association is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors represented by alumni from an
array of decades and regional areas. The Director of Alumni Affairs provides executive leadership to the Board
by initiating, coordinating and stewarding the Alumni Association’s resources and activities.
Throughout the 2009-2010 academic year, the Alumni Association Board of Directors engaged in a strategic
planning process in order to develop a comprehensive plan that will help guide and shape the Alumni
Association over the next three -five years.
- Engaging alumni and students
- Celebrating the best of Oneonta
- Building lifelong relationships
- Delivering quality programs and services to alumni
- Promoting pride for Oneonta
- Informing alumni
- Highest percentage of participation in alumni giving in the SUNY system.
- Third highest percentage of participation in alumni giving amongst peer institutions nationally.
We build lifelong relationships and cultivate pride with alumni, students, faculty, staff, and friends that support
the success of our college.
The mission of the SUNY Oneonta Alumni Association is to connect, engage, support and celebrate alumni,
students, faculty, staff, and friends.
- Goal 1: Increase visibility and impact.
- Objective A: Improve the accuracy and completeness of all alumni records.
- Research and locate lost alumni.
- Research new USPS process and products and implement as appropriate.
- Coordinate a more seamless process for information sharing between Banner and iModules.
- Objective B: Enhance communications with alumni through the use of technology.
- Continue to promote the benefits of registering for the online community as well as other
social networking opportunities.
- Establish an electronic newsletter designed to provide alumni important program and event
- Goal 2: Preserve Oneonta’s history and traditions.
- Objective A: Instill a sense of community and connection to the college.
- Create the Oneonta Future Alumni Network.
- Further engage students in the planning of Homecoming and Family Weekend.
- Build and expand affinity networks which bring alumni with similar interests together for
personal and professional development.
- Objective B: Promote the importance of philanthropy.
- Implement a philanthropy Week.
- Goal 3: Provide students with a seamless transition from students to alumni.
- Objective A: Enhance young alumni programs that promote the Alumni Association.
- Increase Young Alumni participation in event planning through the creation of Regional
Young Alumni Chairs.
- Objective B: Expand opportunities for students to engage in programs that prepare them for life after
- Create regional welcome receptions for recent graduates new to the region.
- Expand the Students Day on Wall Street Program to include more students in more majors as
well alumni who participate.
- Goal 4: Ensure the Association has stable long term funding sources.
- Objective A: Grow existing revenue streams and find new revenue streams.
- Increased investment pool for long term growth.
- Explore the expansion of alumni service offerings and associated revenue streams including
US Bank, Liberty Mutual Insurance, and US Affinity Group.
- Objective B: Find cost effective outreach efforts to support our mission.
- Create new opportunities for alumni to engage, on a continuing basis, in social and educational programs as well as athletic events and service opportunities.
- Develop a volunteer program that recognizes, stewards, and rewards volunteers.
- Communicate the role and accomplishments of the Alumni Association jointly and
consistently with the Fund for Oneonta.
- Goal 5: Gain a better understanding of the demographics of our alumni.
- Objective A: Evaluate trends and changes in demographics in the alumni body, and use this data to
improve programmatic activities in specific regions and on-campus.
- Assess service, support and programs to better serve evolving alumni constituents.